Welcome! If you are interested in seeing what I'm up to in between blog posts, head on over to my Instagram page where I regularly load photos of what I'm working on. You can also find me on Flickr and of course feel free to wander around the blog. Thank you kindly for taking the time to visit!

5.07.2014

modern ohio star


I am so happy to share this quilt with you!

Last Summer/Fall the St. Louis Modern Quilt Guild issued a challenge to make a modern styled quilt with the traditional and classic pattern Ohio Star.  I love this kind of exercise - it really gets my wheels turning and I think it's so fun to play with the classics!

Using the Quilt Design Tool on Threadbias I came up with a fun star with in a star pattern that used value to create the pattern. Since low volume or quiet neutrals are so popular and I like the look, I knew I wanted to incorporate that into the quilt too.


This was my first attempt at using value in a quilt so I used the old trick of looking at my fabrics in black and white, which is so easy now with camera phones!  I just snapped a picture and quickly edited it to black and white via my phone's camera app.  It worked well as I could easily see what needed to be changed.  I was sometimes surprised at what read as light vs. medium etc.  


My design wall was a big help in assembling this pattern as it's easy to get the pieces turned around!  Even with that, I had to do quilt surgery after I pieced the top to turn two blocks around.  Doh!

I used scraps for the back just for fun, and my Mom kindly hand quilted a simple and sparse Ohio Star pattern on the quilt.  I knew I was going to hang this one up, so I pieced in triangles in each corner of the back so that I could insert a dowel rod for hanging any which way.


I didn't win the guild challenge; there were so many wonderful quilts! If you have a minute you should really check out Cindy Lammon's winning entry - her Ohio Star is stunning and oh so good!  Guild members brought their A-game to this challenge, I wish I had more pictures to share!

McCall's decided to pick up my quilt and offer the pattern in it's June/July 2014 issue that is on stands now!  Here is a picture of the cover so it will be easy to spot if you go look for it.  
I hope you'll check it out!


I am already humbled by some fun Instagram love for this pattern!

Thanks for stopping by!!


10 comments:

Kristy said...

YAY! As discussed, I'm usually not a fan of that magazine; but I'm definitely going to have to go buy it now that your design is inside.

It truly is a lovely quilt and I'm happy to see you get lots of praise.

Cindy said...

I love this!!! And thanks for the mention. You're so sweet.

Melissa Miller said...

That quilt looks fantabulous! :)

Lori in NC said...

I saw your quilt on Pinterest yesterday, and had to go to the bookstore to buy the magazine today. Now wish me luck finding the appropriate fabrics in my stash - I have a feeling I'm going to be heavy on the mediums, and sadly short on the lights!

Jessica said...

Yes! I love this quilt! Congrats on being included in the magazine.

Gina said...

Thanks for describing your process. This design is fantastic. Congrats on the inclusion in the magazine!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

I love what you have created here with your clever use of design and colours.

Stephanie said...

What a beautiful quilt. I love your camera phone trick to assign value to fabrics!

P.S. and what a great and inspiring blog! :)

Bernapatch said...

Beau travail sur les nuances ! I love it!!!

beckandlundy (Patty Sloniger) said...

Love your take on the Ohio Star, your value play is gorgeous!