Welcome! If you are interested in seeing what I'm up to in between blog posts, head on over to my Instagram page where I regularly load photos of what I'm working on. You can also find me on Flickr and of course feel free to wander around the blog. Thank you kindly for taking the time to visit!

4.27.2014

donated



Several years ago my friend Kelli gave me a huge box of scraps.  All remnants from mass dress pattern cutting, odd shapes but lots of usable material.  Eventually I went through the box and cut squares, with the thought that someday I'd make a quilt.  3x3, 5x5, and 8.5x8.5 were the best sizes I could come up with in order to maximize the scraps, and after that bout of productivity…it sat.

The scraps were starting to get to me (as most lingering projects do) and I decided to use them for a charity auction quilt benefiting the American Cancer Society.  I've donated goods for several years now, and this year I donated in the name of my sister in law Dawn!  Dawn had surgery last fall to remove her cancer and is doing so well! Go Dawn! 

 

The planning is pretty un-glamorous.  Post-it with some pretty sad drawings.  It worked though!
I had enough to add a row to "the plan" and stitched it up at a St. Louis Modern Quilt Guild Sew-In Saturday event.  It's so much fun to sew with friends!


I added in some of my own stash fabrics to round out the scrap prints and make it a bit more interesting than using just three prints.  The donated scraps were all from an older Moda line called Hello Betty by Chloe's Closet.  It's a color departure for me, but I found that the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. 


My friend Jamie quilted this on her long arm for me and did an excellent job!  I chose an all over swirly design that I think you can see in some of the pictures.  
Check out her blog for more examples of her work!



Just a simple backing, using a scrap piece and some Moda Bella. You can see all those fun swirls!


Because my friend Kristy guilted me into keeping the scraps of the scraps (love ya Kristy!),  
I also made a matching pillow.  It's kinda fun to have them coordinate and a good way to use up scraps.


I turned this quilt in a week ago and the auction is coming up fast; I hope it makes a good chunk of change and makes someone happy to have won it!
Thanks to Kelli, Dawn, Jamie, and Kristy!

Oh and also to my Mom who hand sewed the binding on this quilt the night before I turned it in!



3 comments:

C Geest said...

The Mint Juleps thank you so much! What a labor of love and what a great way to honor a survivor! One week till the big event. Thanks again, dear Mary Claire
Cindy

Kristy said...

Haha!! I don't feel bad about guilting you when you turned those scrap-scraps into a lovely pillow.

The quilt is great too.

Dawn Goodwin said...

Mary this is beautiful!!! Thank you so much for donating it in my name, that was so very sweet! You are such a good sister-in-law. I am sure it will make some serious cash!