Welcome! If you are interested in seeing what I'm up to in between blog posts, head on over to my Instagram page where I regularly load photos of what I'm working on. You can also find me on Flickr and of course feel free to wander around the blog. Thank you kindly for taking the time to visit!

10.16.2013

small quilts

 I think I'd make child or baby size quilts exclusively if it was practical.  The piecing goes really fast, basting is a breeze, the quilting goes faster, binding is done in a snap!  Small quilts might be where it's at if you are looking for a quick finish and sense of accomplishment. 
This pink and yellow quilt is a pattern from Jacquie Gehrings book Quilting Modern.  Great pattern, easy to follow and I'm pretty much in love with the design.  It's just 36 x 36 inches. Just perfect for a wall hanging or a kids snugly lap quilt.
I backed this quilt with minky, since it was for a sweet little girl undergoing treatment for leukemia.  I figured the extra snuggle factor would be nice while she is in the hospital.
This trio of quilts were made for a relative who recently had preemie triplets.  The babies are doing well and we wanted to make them each a special gift.  My Mom helped a lot with these, doing some piecing, basting, and binding work.  You can see photos of the whole quilts on Flickr.

I've got a bunch of small projects lined up to work on next and have a three day quilt retreat coming up; 
I'm hoping to accomplish a lot!


2 comments:

Laurie said...

I think that pattern is the best one in that Quilting Modern book. Yours is the first I've seen in a while with all solids and it's very effective! Good job!

Jenny said...

they are beautiful Mary Claire. I agree baby quilts are fabulously fun to make..